There are a variety of places to visit in Buckfield, Maine. Some of these places include the Sebago Lake State Park, Captain Bly’s Tavern, and the Zadoc Long Free Library. If you are looking for a place to spend an afternoon, you can find a wide range of activities here.
Sebago Lake State Park
Sebago Lake State Park is a public recreation area that is located on the north shore of Sebago Lake between Casco and Naples. It opened in 1938 and is one of Maine’s five state parks. The park is divided into two sections by the Songo River, so there are several opportunities for visitors to enjoy the water and get in touch with nature.
Sebago Lake State Park is one of Buckfield’s top tourist attractions. It features a sandy beach, woodland walking trails, a playground, restrooms, and boat launching. This park also features 250 camping sites spread across 1400 acres of land. Visitors can choose from traditional tenting lots or lakeside RV sites.
Sebago Lake State Park is an idyllic destination for summertime recreation. Located near the foothills of the While Mountains, this park offers a variety of activities. A family can try water sports like tubing, boating, or sailing.
Zadoc Long Free Library
The Zadoc Long Free Library is a place that people in the Buckfield community can go for quality materials and services. The library is a resource that serves the community in a welcoming and respectful manner. There are some restrictions on how the library can handle materials and money and the Friends of the library are a volunteer group that manages the books and materials.
Zadoc Long Free Library is a public library located at 5 Turner Street in Buckfield, Maine. The building was designed by John Calvin Stevens and built in 1901. A native of Buckfield, Long gave the library to the town as a gift. The library is named for Long’s father, Zadoc, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Located on East Buckfield Road, the Buckfield Mall is a small, suburban shopping center in the Oxford Hills region of Maine. It’s located near the Buckfield Fire Department and the town hall, and is a short distance from the historic Union Church. The mall is also conveniently located close to the Lakes and Mountains region, which encompasses Androscoggin County and the town of Turner, just 5 miles southeast.
A recent video posted to YouTube pokes fun at Buckfield Mall doesn’t do the mall any justice. Not only is the mall a mistake, but the video’s people failed to mention its location, which is actually in Maine. This makes the video a joke on a different level. If the mall were in another state, Shuler King’s crew would be more accurate.
Captain Bly’s Tavern
In Buckfield, Maine, a former tavern has closed down. The building once had an open flag, and was just off Route 117. A lawsuit has been filed against the new landlord over the closure. The suit alleges that Lee Johnson violated the lease of the property.
Captain Bly’s Tavern is a family-friendly pub style restaurant located on Route 117. It’s full of inviting waitstaff, an affordable menu, and evening entertainment. The tavern was originally a garage, but it was later converted into a restaurant. The original owner, Steve Bly, was the captain of the Buckfield Fire Department. He was a long-time friend of McAlister and decided to convert his former business into a family-friendly restaurant.
The E.C. and M.I. Record Homestead in Buckfield, Maine, is an excellent example of late transitional Federal-Greek Revival architecture. This house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The home was built in 1843, and it is a well-preserved example of the style in the area.
The homestead is on 22 acres, and it features a single level living space with two bedrooms, a bath and a kitchen ell. The home also has a barn and small garden shed. It was built in the 1840s and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Abijah Buck Home is a historic homestead located on 31.5 acres of fields. The property is planted with several varieties of fruit trees, and sits atop a hill overlooking the Nezinscot River. The home features six working fireplaces, including the largest kitchen fireplace in the state of Maine. Other amenities include a formal dining room, a kitchen with a large island and high-speed Internet.
The homestead is also home to the Enoch Hall House, a one-half-story Federal cape. Its exterior has extensive 19th century murals of landscapes. The original owners of the property, Enoch Hall (1763-1835), settled on the site in 1783. He had shifted from Windham to the site of the existing house in 1793.